Proposed Charter for the University of Loch Salann
The University of Loch Salann is hereby created with the goal of furthering the learning and teaching of students of the current middle ages.
The University shall:
- Register students
- Report on classes attended
- Register teachers
- Report on classes taught
- Participate in collegia ( classes taught at all levels)
- Keep a catalogue of classes and potential teachers from members of the Barony
- Encourage engaging and thoughtful discussion regarding the arts and sciences
- Award Degrees and Academic posts to members of the University
Administration of University of Loch Salann:
- Within the University there shall be a registry posted to the Arts and Sciences web page, as well as the University Facebook group which shall be maintained by the Minister of Arts and Sciences and their duly appointed deputy which shall bear the title of Chancellor of the University of Loch Salann.
Duties of the Chancellor and Provosts:
- To maintain the registry and class tracking documents
- To recruit teachers for classes as needed
- To maintain the guidelines of the University
- To administer the University Facebook group
- To grant degrees and titles of the University in concert with the Baron and Baroness
Validation of classes:
- Classes for the University of Loch Salann will be considered valid when they are registered with the University and entered into the data base.
Board of Regents:
- The Board of Regents shall consist of the Chancellor, the Minister of Arts and Sciences, the Baron and Baroness and Provosts. This body shall by consensus establish policy, review credentials and verify degrees.
Matriculation / student responsibilities:
( Matriculation is defined as enrollment in the University of Loch Salann as a candidate for a degree)
- In order to matriculate students will register with the Registry Office
- Students will be responsible for the reporting of their classes to the registry office.
- Once a student is matriculated they will be considered students of the University of Loch Salann until or unless they request removal from the rolls or achieve their desired degree.
Degrees and Requirements for the University of Loch Salann:
- Socius licentia ( Member in licentia) This degree is earned after a student logs at least 15 hours of classes with the Registry Office.
- Baccalaureate This degree is earned by logging 30 hours of classes at the University of Loch Salann.
- Magister This degree is awarded to students after achieving a Baccalaureate and becoming a Fellow of the University, the candidate must log an additional 10 hours as a student and teach at least 5 more classes.
- Doctorate- This Degree is granted at the discretion of the Chancellor and the Board of Regents.
- Classes at the University contribute to the requirements outlined for the Order of the Flower or Chivalry, this distinction will be indicated in the log of classes as well as class description within the University. This honor is granted by the members of the Order not the University or Board of Regents, but the University will add its endorsement for classes attended.
- Graduation and the Awarding of Degrees will take place at a Baronial event as the Baron and Baroness desire.
- Members of the Faculty within the University of Loch Salann must first register with the University Office of the Registry, and teach at least one qualified class per term.
- In order for classes to be considered as a “qualifying class” within the University of Loch Salann they must meet these specific requirements:
- Be registered and published in the class listings
- Have a length of at least 30 minutes
- A class may also be considered “ Qualifying” if it is published and taught at guild meeting, out of area regional or kingdom collegium, or out of kingdom symposium. It is the responsibility of the teacher to make sure these classes are registered with the Office of the Registry and submitted with appropriate documentation. As long as it is registered it will count.
Academic Posts of the University of Loch Salann:
- Adjunct Lecturership- This status is awarded any teacher from outside the Barony of Loch Salann, and at the discretion of the Board of Regents.
- Professor Adinuctus ( Associate Professorship) This academic title will be awarded to teachers who are members in Licentia, but have not earned their Baccalaureate. This Academic posting will be granted after a teacher has taught at least 3 classes.
- Conservis universities ( Fellow of the University) This Academic title will be awarded to teachers who have earned a Baccalaureate, and teach at least 5 additional qualified classes.
- Readership Will be awarded to those who have been named Conservis universities and who have taught an additional 5 classes.
- Doctorate This level of academic posting will be awarded at the discretion of the Board of Regents.
- Amendments to this charter can be made by a 2/3 vote of the members of the Board of Regents. and published on the Baronial Website the University Website, and in the Questing Quill.
This document will become the official charter once it is signed and presented at Solistice court, until that time it will remain the working document for the University.