Soon to be summer! Soon to be Melee Madness!!!
June 3rd and 4th, 2017 at its Ancient and Honorable site, The Castle (in back of the Utah State Hospital in Provo, UT)
Come and enjoy the day, by doing an activity or just relaxing in the sun and visiting with friends!
Fighting, Archery, Thrown Weapons and More!
- Opening announcements are tentatively planned for 10:00 am on Saturday (or whenever the event steward thinks that enough fighters have shown up). The more fighters we have, the more fun the Castle Siege scenarios will be!
- Competitions for Baronial Archery and Thrown Weapons Champions will be taking place.
- If you’ve ever wanted to run/sponsor an activity, contest or teach a class (fighting or non-fighting), this is the place to do it; just clear it with the Event Steward and appropriate Coordinator.
- Even though this will be a 2-day activity, the populace is encouraged to come early on Saturday and bring picnic lunches and sunshades/tents (although there are numerous shade trees).
- This is a very dry site! Because this is a state facility, anyone bringing alcoholic beverages onsite or found to be in an inebriated condition will be politely asked to leave immediately!
- Ground fires or open flames are not permitted, but off-ground fire pits, hibachis, and gas grills are. Offsite merchants are only 4-6 minutes away.
- Pets are welcome if accompanied by responsible owners.
On Sunday morning, weather allowing, House Catwing & Hold Tyte will hold their annual Pas d’Armes, open to all fighters; see the Event Steward for details. Bring your nicest banners and fighting clothes, and display your skills at weapons and words.
While martial events are ringing through the air there will be many other activities available-
As we are working to stand up our youth combat program we need help in making weapons, shields and other required equipment. We will have supplies and instructions on hand and could use your help in construction.
Members of the Crystal Bloom will be teaching classes through the afternoon. Come, learn and support the youth. Exact classes and instructors will be posted soon.
There are several challenges this year!
Create an Ode: It is time to celebrate and we have much to be grateful for! Write an ode to celebrate…something- Perhaps it is the Kingdom of Artemisia in honor of its XX year. Our Glorious King, Queen, Prince and Princess, The ancient and Honorable lands of Loch Salann, Your handsome Baron or gentle Baroness, The event (melee madness) or its faithful steward Sir Michael the Lucky, Perhaps you want to write an ode to the castle itself. Here is a link on how http://www.beavercreek.k12.oh.
Write a story or poem using proper words from medieval Europe – There will be a bag of medieval words and their definitions. Your task is to use them in a story, poem or song. Points are awarded for quantity and quality of word use. A word you might find is ‘Keak’ – I really liked everything about her, except she just had this awful, awful keak. Can’t date a girl with a terrible keak.
Write a short poem or story. In the bardic arts it is amazing to spend 45 minutes to an hour listening to an epic poem … but sometimes it is best to keep it short. check out this song for the reasons why: https://soundcloud.com/
Check with His Majesty Floki for information and details.
Flower of Chivalry Challenges:
Have you been looking at the flower of Chivalry and wondering when you would have an opportunity to meet with Members of the order and share your persona story or discuss period weapons or design your fortification? There will be members of the order and tools to help you available at Melee Madness at the Holdtyte pavilion.
While the site will officially OPEN at 8:00 am on Saturday and CLOSE at 10:00 pm on Sunday, we will be allowed to set up tents Friday night after 5:30 pm. Unless told otherwise, camping is only allowed on the field in front of the Castle. Please contact the Event Steward beforehand if you plan on camping overnight.
Utah State Hospital, 1300 E. Center St. Provo, UT 84603. Site opens at 5:30 pm Friday, June 2rd and closes 10 pm Sunday, June 4th.
Adult Event fee: $15
Adult Member Discount Event fee: $10;
Children ages 17 years old and younger are free.
Make checks payable to “SCA Inc., Barony of Loch Salann.”
Take I-15 to the Provo Center Street exit 267; drive east on Center Street (about 2 miles) and enter the hospital grounds. Continue east and turn left at the large planter in the road; follow the road around and up to the castle area (the “off limits” signs aren’t meant for us).
Sir Michael the Lucky (Michael Huston), 801-645-5651, firstname.lastname@example.org
Heavy – Sir Bohun the Black (Adrian Kuhn), 801-856-3621, Bowen_the _Black@yahoo.com
Rapier – HL Johanne die Weyer (Holly Johnson) 385-240-7856, email@example.com
Non-Fighting Activities Coordinator:
Lord Robert de Spencer II